Thursday, September 01, 2005

Ode to New Orleans

These are lyrics from a favorite song of mine, "Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans"


Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
And miss her each night and day
I know I'm not wrong because the feeling's Getting stronger
the longer I stay away
Miss the moss-covered vines, tall sugar pines
Where mockingbirds used to sing
I'd love to see that old lazy Mississippi
Running in the spring
Moonlight on the bayous
Creole tunes fill the air
I dream about magnolias in June
And I'm wishin I was there
Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more, I miss the one I care for
More than I miss New Orleans

The disaster footage is staggering and heart breaking. I've spent many a fun time in NOLA, starting at age 17 with the South High School Marching Band and most recently in March of 2003 with my bud Trish. I love that city; the architecture, the culture, the food, the music, the galleries, the excess, the feeling of being able to totally lose yourself. Now it is gone. I'm not a religious person, but my prayers are with those impacted by this disaster. I know many people are wanting to help and that many dollars are going to the American Red Cross, as they should. But being an animal lover, I want to encourage my readers (all 9 of you) to donate to the North Shore Animal League http://www.nsal.org which has set up a special site to take donations for our four legged friends who are also victims.

Here is a funny photo of me in NOLA
Good times, good times.

No comments: