Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Corned Beef

Bob Koch 1947-2005; May he rest in peace

It is a sad day in the land of those who eat at the Jewish Deli. An icon has died, and with it, the end of an era. I'm proud to call myself a Penn Alum for a few reasons, but the most important reason was that I could call myself a Koch's junkie. Bob fed me faithfully through my second year in graduate school, starting my first job, buying my first house, countless losing Phillies season, the loss of Maxie, many friends, my father's love of the tongue sandwich (which is just embarassing to write!) I even ate at Koch's on 9/11/01. I remember standing at counter feeling totally terrified over what had happenend and being absolutely comforted to know that community still existed in a little deli in Philadelphia, regardless of your skin color, age, religion or knowledge of obscure sports stats. Bob also told the most horrible Monica Lewinsky jokes. I'll miss my favorites; hot brisket with melted muchee, chicken cheese steaks with a "kiss" of mustard, turkey clubs and rice pudding. But most of all I'll miss the institution that was Bob Koch. I hope you have a counter seat at the deli in the sky. Maseltov my friend.

No comments: