Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Guinness--Its good for you

Well if it is Tuesday, it must be Dublin. We started off the day with a tour to Malahide Castle, which is north of the city proper. The castle was quite lovely an it's grounds were so amazingly green! There was a great deal of period furniture in the castle and lots of Italian marble. Sadly, we weren't allowed to photograph anything inside the castle. We then hopped back on the coach for a trip to Malahide town where we had traditional Irish Coffee in a pub called Gibneys. Now, I'm a drinker, and I've been known to throw back a few in my days, but this was strong beyond my likely/ability! The pubs are so lively and quaint. And there are SOOOOO many of them.

We then headed into Dublin city. Mom and I were both a bit disappointed by Dublin. It was VERY crowded and the traffic was unbelievable. I was almost killed by a guy on a Vespa and I tell you, I was afraid to cross streets. We headed for the safety of the City Tour on the double decker bus. We saw Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral, St Patricks cathedral and of course the Guinness factory/storehouse. Guinness takes up a most impressive expanse of land in the city and has also be responsible for restoring some of the city's green spaces (which by the way are few and far between). However, the flower boxes were numerous and gorgeous in every building...trinket shop to pub.

We got some GORGEOUS Irish/Aran sweaters (which I will never knit for myself) and other fun woolen extravaganzas. We got a decent exchange rate with the Euro and did fairly well with the local currency.
We leave tonight at 11 to cross the Irish Sea to Holyhead, Wales where we will tour Caernefon Castle and the Snowdonia Mountains.

More to follow

C and B

No comments: