Thursday, January 26, 2006

Babysitting Justin

Channeling my teenage years, I babysat for my boyfriend...I mean Justin, last night.
He is very silly. I found that if I play Pillsbury Doughboy with him and press his stomach, he laughs hysterically.

Here are some photos...


Jus and Gus take a snooze


Let's play Auntie Bach!


Gus REALLY likes Justin's blanket


Lambchop RULES! Until Maggie steals her!


I outta be in pictures...really I mean, how cute is this kid?

So other than half an hour of screaming, due to poopy pants and exhaustion, Justin and I had a great time. I didn't mention that Maggie thought it would be cute to steal the poopy diaper and carry it around the house with her...so NOT cute.

So, onto knitting. I am ALMOST finished with the entrelac scarf for my favorite esthetician (sp?) Kin and about halfway through the second sock for Dad. Which brings me to my homage for Opal sock yarn. I know some really don't understand or buy into its popularity. But I really like it. I made my dad his first pair of Tiger Socks two years ago for Christmas, after searching high and low on EBAY for the coveted "tiger" colorway. See, my dad went to Princeton, so anything he can get that represents Tigers or is Orange and Black, he automatically loves. He more than loved these socks; he wore them ALL THE TIME. It really made me feel like he liked my craft and respected and understood the time, energy and joy I put into those socks. This year, he wore a hole, right through the bottom of them. Now, I have a secret stash of one more skein of tiger yarn and figured I would make him another pair. After Christmas, mom and I ventured to a LYS in Barnstable called the Blue Heron Yarn Studio. There in front of me, were beautiful new colorways of Opal sock yarn, including a NEW TIGER COLORWAY. I snatched the ball up (and have since decided thatwe need to go buy the rest of them and stash them away as well). The yarn is crisp while knitting, but so lovely. And I know, dad will wear them, regularly, and they will last. That is why I like the Opal sock yarn. You know that this project you spend time on, will wear for a while...Yarn Harlot writes a great homageto the knitted sock in her latest book. Anyway, here is what the colorways look like






These are from the Rainforest Collection. There a re a couple more animals, but they kind of freaked me out. I'm planning on making the flamingo and zebra for me and the fish for grandma (who apparently won't take the Lorna's Laces socks off and shows them off to all her friends in Florida!)

I found a great website, www.simplysockyarn.com

They have a great, diverse selction of, duh, sock yarn. The customer service was great (emailed me when they didn't have something I had ordered, offered changes to the order, fast shipping and cute little samples of other sock yarns in your box!). I highly recommend...if only they had Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock I would be in HEAVEN.

Speaking of Lorna's Laces, I am contemplating making the "Landscape Shawl" from Fiber Trends in Shepherd Lace in the Black Purl colorway....hmmmmmmm

No comments: